Monday, March 5, 2012

One More Shot

Checkup day for Sara.  The doctor checked out one of her toes that she's been complaining about.  He thinks she might have broken it at some point and that's why it's still giving her pain.  But as we all know, there's really nothing that can be done for a broken toe, other than to tape it to the adjacent toe and stay off it.  Perhaps not surprisingly, she decided she can live with whatever "pain" she's having instead of having to give up gymnastics for a few weeks.  I'm mostly skeptical of this broken toe story, since it really only seems to bother her at times that would be to her advantage.  Like when Jacob won't scoot over on the couch.  Or when she should be vacuuming. 

We were given the option of having the Gardasil shot, which I suppose I should have known was coming, but totally didn't.  I chose not to have them give her that right now.  The simple reason is that I only know there is a lot of talk about this shot and I don't know enough about it to decide if I want her to have it or not.  I'm not anti-vaccine or anything like that at all.  And most of the time, if a doctor tells me we need to do something, I go along with it.  I watched a lot of  "ER" back in the day, but still don't consider myself a doctor of any kind.  So I suppose I'll be doing some reading about Gardasil.  What are the schools of thought on this?  What would be reasons not to have her have it?  Feel free to leave a comment if you're more informed than I, which you probably are.

And so as not to look like a parent who doesn't know what to do when faced with vaccination decisions, I let them give her the ones she'll need for middle school today as opposed to waiting until next year.  She'll be very unhappy trying to do back handsprings tonight after having a tetanus booster in her arm this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment