Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Taken by Surprise

Last night we got an offer on the house.  A bona fide, real life, serious offer.  Maybe that St. Joseph statue planted in the yard really worked, because in this market, who offers only $5000 less than asking price?  No one smart I would wager.  But I don't care if these people are smart or stupid or purple - they want to buy my house and therefore I love them.

It's weird how now that Mitch and I had decided the house wasn't going to sell and we were going to end up staying here, getting the offer seems a little disappointing.  And even more weird is that the only one that is excited is Jacob.  The child who is most reluctant to change and who fought bitterly against the move and called our realtor and anyone who came to look at our house any combination of bad names allowed in the vocabulary of an 11-year-old.  Now he can't wait to move.  Sara cried, but we took her out for dinner after we dropped Jacob at Scouts and let her throw peanuts on the floor and at Mitch and soon she was fine.  She's still not thrilled about the whole thing, but she'll bounce back.  She always does.

Needless to say, we accepted the offer and now we just wait for the inspection to tell us what's wrong with our house.  I just keep saying "It's not a done deal yet".  But in my head I am making lists of everything that needs to be done in order for us to move.  Including rescheduling a house-hunting trip that had better not fall during the release of Eclipse.  Since I put all the tickets on my card, I guess if I have to be gone then Jenni, Becky, Jen and Maryann aren't going either!  Oh, and I'm out $90.  Yes, I am currently thinking up excuses why we can't go that week.

I have to tell my workplace what my plans are by Friday of this week.  I don't think I'll have any more concrete information on Friday than I have now, but at least now it's reasonable to think I won't be here much longer.  And they want to get someone in so I can train her, though my experience has always been in these situations that I will train the new person and as soon as I leave, everyone will be saying "Now, I know Nancy used to do it this way and told you to do it this way, but this is what we should be doing..."  I'm not stupid, I know how these things go.  I suspect it will not be long before this state goes to electronic filing of death certificates and everything will change anyway. 

I do have a list of things I need to get straightened around and written down for the new person however.  Things that are just rattling around in my head that she'll need to know.  I know I was lucky when I started this job that the person before me stuck around and worked part-time for a few years before she retired.  So whenever I had a question, I could just find her and ask.  And since she did this job for 26 years before me, she had a fair amount of knowledge rattling around in her head too.  It really was the best way to train.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there. Have you even told anyone about his blog? I love it. Too funny but we all know that is how you are. Well what do I say.... congrats pending inspection results. Or dang, I hope those ants are deeply infested and you have to stay and live with them. Considering all the stress you have been dealing with and the fact that Mitch has a short time to live under such circumstances, I begrudgingly say CONGRATS. How surprising about Jacob..... and they say girls are the fickle ones! Hey, let's meet up in Utah. We will be there shortly... twice, on the way to our destination and back. Or perhaps I can pick out a house for you and save you the trip. I will send you directions and details soon. Would you prefer a house with or without ants in your pants? Later....

    ReplyDelete