Friday, June 25, 2010

Just A Job to Do

We leave tonight to take the kids to my mom's for what we fondly call "Fishing Vacation" and then Mitch and I leave on Sunday for Utah for four days.  Then we go back to Illinois on Saturday the 3rd to pick the kids up.  Maybe.  If my mom's lucky, we'll show up to get them.  But there's no telling with us.

Three weeks from today will be my last day here at this job.  It's actually hard to believe now that it's so close.  My replacement starts on the 5th, so I'll be spending 2 weeks training her.  Which should be interesting, since it's not a secret I'm not good talking with people.  Plus my desire to just do it myself hampers any training that might occur.  Oh, and my wicked control issues really help.  I'm going to try really hard to squash those tendencies, but I'm going to go on record as saying I don't hold out much hope.

I cleared my desk of all personal belongings today and it took a excruciating 3 minutes.  It would appear I don't keep much personal crap here.  It may take me like 6 days to clear out my computer however.  That will be a job for this afternoon.  Before I leave early, of course.  I will never find another job like one, that's for sure.  I'm sure my next job will expect me to actually show up at a specific time and stay until a specific time.  However, I also thought that about my last job and it turned out not to be true.  Maybe I just have a gift for finding jobs with "flexi-time", in the words of one of my bosses in Virginia.  And that job paid for my college degree, which as you can see is getting a lot of use here in my menial clerical job.  Okay, so maybe I'm just lazy.  There's always that to consider.

I won't get all sentimental about leaving this job quite yet.  There's still 3 weeks to go and around here, anything can happen in that length of time.  But I've worked with some great people, who seem to like me in spite of my bad attitude and often inappropriate bursts of temper and sarcasm.  And I've liked most of them as well.  Well, I've liked most of them most of the time anyway.  (See previous comment regarding bad attitude and bursts of temper.)  I hope I find people half as great to work with in Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment