Friday, July 2, 2010

Wild, Wild West

We rented a house in Utah and true to our impatient form, it was the first one we looked at.  Whatever, it's a rental.  It has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a two car garage.  It has a huge front porch where we can sit and look out at the mountains.  The basement is unfinished, but really nice and big so we shouldn't need to rent a storage place for any stuff that doesn't fit in the main part of the house.  The yard is okay, as far as Utah yards go.  They are all dry and dusty and rocky, but it should be fine for a year.  It's about 30 minutes from Mitch's work and since I don't have a job yet, perfect for me.  They approved us for the rental in an hour and a half and in spite of difficulty getting a money order (due to withdrawals limits on our debit card), we had the keys in our hand in 24 hours.  Easy peasy.  It was really weird too because we called the rental company and they gave us the code to the lockbox and we let ourselves in.  Talk about a trusting society there. 

When we went back for the second look, I talked to a woman who lives on the street behind us.  I asked her some questions about the school, since she had a little boy who is going into 2nd grade with her.  But I'm assuming he wasn't hers, because she couldn't remember what the name of the school he goes to is.  At least I hope he wasn't hers, given that. 

Conversation we had as I was walking away,

"So, I didn't catch your names."

"Oh, I'm Nancy and this is my husband Mitch."

"Soooo, are you LDS?"

"Um, no, we're not."

Guess I better get used to having that conversation.  Mitch and I decided we needed a better answer than just "Um, no".  But I don't know what the appropriate response would be.
-----

We also opened a credit union account, which OH MY GOD, really?  It took forever.  We spent an hour filling out forms and answering questions and then once we left, the lady called Mitch no fewer than 4 separate times over the next five hours to ask him questions.  Does your wife work?  Your credit report shows you have a mortgage?  Why do you have a VA loan if you didn't list any military income?   And who knows what all else.  One would think you would go into a financial institution, give them some money and they open an account.  I'm not sure it needs to be quite so difficult. 

We went to the school the kids will be attending and got all the forms and talked to the principal.  She seemed really nice and never once mentioned that my kids are the spawn of Satan due to our unconventional religious beliefs in comparison to the locals.  (I'm kidding, of course.)  (Probably.)  They have a Track System, where Track A kids show up at like 8:30 and stay until 2:20 and Track B kids show up at 9:15 and stay until 3:30.  I guess it's because they have so many kids.  She said there were like 30 kids in a class.  So I suppose this system alleviates some of that.  I'm not wild about the number of kids in a class, but the education system in that entire area is really good, so I think I'll just reserve judgment until I get in there.

I also found out I will need my social security card to get a new driver's license.  And where would I have put that I wonder?  The joke is, I've been carrying it around in my wallet for the last 15 years and just recently said "This is stupid and unwise to carry this around.  I will put it somewhere safe."  Yeah, I have no idea where "somewhere safe" is.  I'd say the safe in the basement, but that would be too obvious.  Plus I would of had to go down there and put the card in there and that just doesn't sound like something I would do. 

Let's see what else...

I ate at a Del Taco for the first time.  Eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment