Thursday, August 19, 2010

After the Rain

Ugh - the kids are fighting already today, complete with hitting each other with Wii remotes and slamming doors.  How many more days until school starts? (Answer: 6. 6 very long days.)

Gracie is doing better today, after causing me much worry yesterday.  Tuesday, she went to the vet and had a checkup and a shot.  The vet said she looks good so that was a load off.  Then we took her for a walk on Tuesday night and the neighbor's cat kicked her butt.  Literally.  Howling, screeching, yelping, the whole thing.  Gracie was trying to get away, but since she was on the leash, she was just tangling herself around Sara's legs and that cat was not going away.  I got there in time to pick up the dog, push the cat away and unhook the leash so Sara could stand on 2 legs again.  Gracie had a few marks on her hip and she was seriously freaked out.  (So was Sara, for that matter.)  Then Gracie spent most of yesterday sleeping and when we picked her up she would yelp.  I worried that something was seriously wrong with her, but this morning when Mitch got up to take her out at 4 AM, she came back all playful and happy.  And this morning, she ran around with her toys and ate all her food.  So I think she's okay. 

She likes to sleep in small spaces, like between my chair and the wall or under the chairs at the kitchen table and this morning, I found her under my bed.  This might become problematic once she passes the puppy stage.

We had a big storm blow through about lunchtime and now it's chilly here.  66 degrees and windy.  The rain was coming down so hard I couldn't see the lake or the mountains.  Usually, this is what I can see from my front porch:



During the storm, I couldn't see past the houses.  It's crazy.  We've had a couple of storms like that since I've been here but I'm still shocked to look out the windows and not seen the mountains.  We're at the end of the street and all the water pours down the gutters past our house like a river.  A few times, we've had hail during the storms, but not today.  Sorry there aren't any pictures during the storm, but I didn't want to give the neighbors any more "That crazy lady at the end of the street is outside taking pictures of the weather again" stories.  I'd already taken some when storms were coming in when I first moved here.  They are really cool.






Sara was supposed to go to an amusement park with her friend Cyenna today, but Cyenna called this morning and said they didn't know if they were going to go today or tomorrow and she would call later.  There was something hokey about that whole thing right from the beginning, since I never heard from Cyenna's parents and it all seemed very last minute.  I suspect that she invited Sara without talking to her parents or that maybe a trip to the amusement park was never in the works at all.  I don't know.  It just seemed off to me.  We'll see what comes of it, if anything.

On an unrelated note, is it possible that at any given time of day there's an episode of "Law & Order" on?  It sure seems that way to me.

1 comment:

  1. well you have a wonderful view thats for sure! Post card pictures. Boy Gracie will be having cat nightmares for some time to come as I suspect Sara to. I would for protection of course carry a stick on strolls with the dog from now on, Kevin says a pellet gun but I'm not so sure thats in order LOL. Very happy to see you are all settling in nicely, but we do miss you terribly its just not the same without you!

    ReplyDelete