Monday, August 2, 2010

For Free

So we all have arrived in Utah.  Jacob and I got here yesterday (Sunday).  My mom got here on Saturday, so she already had a day on us for figuring out where everything was.  Mitch started work today, on days, but he's been told they'll start running weekend shift in the next few weeks.  I guess they already have some work lined up.  Just dove right in, I guess.

Mom and I found the essentials today - Kohl's and Target.  I thought it was a Super Target, but now I think it was a hallucination on my part and wishful thinking.  Either way, it was a Target only about 20 minutes from my house, so I was happy.

I applied for a job today.  I know, right?  Spending money makes me nervous.  And it was only one job, and I guess I'll have to try for more than that.  Who knows though?  Maybe the fact that I really don't want to go to work yet will put the job karma gods on alert and zone in.  Eh.

The doorbell rang today and it was an older lady with two kids holding food.  The woman said, "I'm from the Relief Society, are you a member?"  Since I had no idea what she was talking about, but suspected it was regarding the Church, I said no.  Basically, the grocery store gives them all the baked goods that are expiring that day and they drive around and give them to neighborhood families.  There's a specific day where children will come to my door and ask "Do you want bakery today?" and then they give you free baked goods.  We got a key lime pie, a dozen chocolate frosted doughnuts, a loaf of rosemary herb bread and a dozen hamburger buns. 

The maintenance guy from the rental agency was here at the same time and I saw him talking to the guy in the truck.  When they left, he said that now that they know we aren't with the Church, they'll be back to talk to us.  Well, duh.  I'm surprised no one has been here yet.  But hey - I'll talk to anyone they want if they keep bringing chocolate doughnuts to my door.  Everyone should know that by now.

All and all, so far so good.  Our trip was cool and I'll post about that later.  Jacob and I had a really good time and I'm so glad that we did it.

1 comment:

  1. wow are you kidding me free baked goods?!?! I want in on that, thats worth the move all in itself! What job did you apply for? Was it target???? We miss you terribly and want you to come back.......

    ReplyDelete