Tuesday, August 24, 2010

School Announcements

Last night was the kids' school open house.  There was a little bit of stress involved here over this, seeing as it's a new school, they don't know anyone, and they don't know the teachers.  Both of the teachers seem good.  Jacob's is SUPER enthusiastic, which God bless her, because I think if I had been teaching 6th grade for the last ten years, my level of excitement over starting a new school year might be slightly lower.  But she was nice and explained everything we could expect.  It does seem to Jacob that he'll be taking a step backwards, as all of his friends back home will be going to middle school and he'll still be in elementary.  They don't switch classes either.  And there's no band.  But they have a lunchroom, buses, and in his opinion the best thing of all, no dress code.  (I don't think he's quite figured out that now his outfits have to pass Mom's inspection.)

Sara's has a male teacher again this year and he said this is his 3rd year teaching 4th grade.  He also seems nice, but he appeared a little flustered during the open house.  Like he was surprised that people kept coming and going.  All of the school supplies for Sara were provided, which was nice.  They do have to keep journals, which he said they can bring in a special one of their own or he will provide, so I got her a Girls on the Run journal from Wal-Mart this morning.  I think given the fact I didn't have to buy any other supplies for her, I could drop $2 on a pink journal. 

(Let's not discuss how much I spent on school clothes for her.)

We had the chance to look through math books for both kids and let me tell you when I told my kids: they both have NO EXCUSE for not acing math this year.  It looks like stuff they've already done.  It's ironic because Mitch and I were concerned that our kids would actually be behind the schools here, but a preliminary look shows that they might actually be ahead.  Like pretty far ahead.  I obviously won't know until they actually get started, but that's how it seems.  At first, I was kind of upset by it, but after thinking it over, I think it might make this whole move easier for them.  If they have to work at making all new friends, figuring out a new school, and going to a new state, at least school should be easy.  I'm hoping anyway. 

Watch now that I've said this, it will actually be the opposite and they'll be struggling to get caught up.  It would serve me right.  Pride and the fall and all that.

Tomorrow is the first day.  It's a shortened day, I think they get out 50 minute early.  Wish them luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment