Friday, August 13, 2010

Of Trampolines and Old Movies (Or: Why Nancy Needs A Job)

Mitch took the kids to the gun range after dinner, which I am all for.  Because now they are all out of the house and I am very happy.

We had a houseful of kids here just a little bit ago - the 2 that live behind us and the 2 next door.  Unfortunately for Jacob, the boys were both like 5 or 6.  So he was not a happy camper, since we told him to suck it up and go outside with them.  The girl behind us is a year younger than Sara and the one next door is maybe, like 7?  I don't know - I'm truly terrible at figuring kids ages.  There is another girl in the neighborhood that Sara has met and hung out with a few times, and she's going into the 4th grade too, so maybe something will come of that.  Jacob did meet some boys at the park the other night, where they played the game with the name I won't repeat, but it basically involves a ball, a bunch of boys and tackling.  (Not football - it's not as organized as that.)  Only, I guess they didn't have a ball, so they were using one of the kid's shoes.  Extra points for resourcefulness, I suppose.  Both of my kids have been asked if they were Mormon and when they answered no, it didn't seem to change anything.  But we'll see. 

One interesting thing I've seen here a few times is that they bury their trampolines in the ground.  I guess they dig a hole the size of the trampoline and set it inside that, so that the jumping part is basically level with the ground.  I've seen it a few times, so I know it's not just one crazy guy.  Unless they all followed suit.  It pretty much looks like this:


Except, less green stuff all around and more mountains in the background.  (I copied this off the Internet, it's not an actual picture of one around here.  I think it's too early to be going up to my neighbors and saying "Can I take a picture of your trampoline so I can show all my friends back home how weird it is here?")  I don't know the reasoning exactly, whether it's supposed to be safer or whether because the wind gets high here and it prevents blowing-awayage.  Not all of them are in the ground so I don't think it's a neighborhood ordinance.  Either way, until we buy a house, I won't be doing anything like this.  Probably not even then.

I've been watching waaaaay more of the Little League World Series than I care to admit at this point.  And this is only the Regional Playoffs, the actual World Series doesn't start until next Friday.  But daytime television is not at all fun.  I did watch "Mallrats" today, because I like to wait a good 15 years after a movie is released to actually sit down and see it.  And okay, I'll admit, I liked it.  We have all these movie channels and I keep finding movies I want to see but haven't and honestly, the DVR was 70% full so I needed to watch something.  Those stupid movie channels only show movies that are so old you forgot they even existed.  I watched "The Breakfast Club" yesterday and I'd only seen it on TNT for so many years, I forgot there was actual swearing in it.  Or that Judd Nelson was ever so young.  Next thing you know, they'll be showing "The Outsiders" and I'll be crying on the couch when Johnny dies and telling my kids to "Stay gold".

No comments:

Post a Comment