Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eight Days a Week

Again, where have I been?  Ugh, as soon as I wrote last Tuesday's post, things went crazy!

I had a job interview that day.  It went well, except it was about 30 minutes away and only paid $7.50 an hour.  The hours were not fabulous, 9 to 5:30.  I was pretty sure I wasn't taking it when I left, though you never can tell with me.  I do have a history of taking weird jobs.  Funeral home receptionist, anyone?

Anyway, I got home and was goofing off, waiting for it to be time to pick up the kids from science club, talking on the phone to Jenni, when the call waiting beeped through at 3:20.  I didn't recognize the number, but thought that I should.  (Do you ever have that?  Hmmm, the number isn't immediately recognized, but I think I SHOULD know it, so what to do?)  Good thing I answered, since it was Sara's teacher.  He said Sara wasn't doing well and wanted me to come get her.  I could hear something in the background and finally said, "Is that her crying?"  and he said yes.  I clicked back over to Jenni, changed out of my yoga pants into something more publicly acceptable, and drove over to the school.  Luckily, we're only 2 miles away.

Kids were getting on the buses when I pulled in and I went straight up to Sara's classroom.  She was sitting on the floor with her teacher, holding a trash can.  I said "Hi Sara" and she looked toward me and then back at her teacher and said "Is that my mom?  Is she here?" 

I could tell from her voice that it was another temporal* lobe seizure.  When she stood up and came to me, she started saying "I need to go home, can we go home, let's just go home" and variations of that theme.  She said she was going to throw up and she needed to take the trash can with her.  I knew she wasn't going to, that it was a symptom of the seizure, and convinced her we couldn't take the school trash can home.  There was another teacher in there and she went to the science club room to get Jacob.  We took the elevator downstairs since she wasn't in any shape to take the stairs and I didn't feel comfortable carrying her and got her out to the car. 

She was a little better in the car, but still agitated and saying she needed to go home.  We got home and she barely made it in the house before collapsing on the couch.  She slept for 3 hours and woke up with a headache, but it wasn't too bad and some Motrin took care of it. 

I called the neurologist's office Wednesday.  They said they don't necessarily need to see her since she has an appointment already scheduled for the end of December, but if she has another one, they will want to.  They also said to make sure she stays hydrated and gets enough rest, because any kind of compromise to her system may contribute to a seizure.  They confirmed there isn't anything to do while she's having one, except wait it out and be there.

SO that kept us freaked out for a little bit.  Then Mitch's dad and Annette came on Thursday and stayed until Monday morning.  It was a great visit.  We went up to Salt Lake on Friday and to Antelope Island on Sunday and ate at the Red Iguana  twice.  Seeing her grandparents was just what Sara needed and took her mind off the seizure. 

I had a job interview at the school on Friday and they called right after to say I got it.  It's just as a Math Fact Tutor, 2 hours a day, but it's close.  And maybe too close, but until I feel more comfortable about Sara, I need to be close.  And with any luck, it will lead to something else with the school district next year when hopefully everything is back to normal.  Or back to acceptable anyway.  I went for fingerprinting today and will be starting soon.

So while we're in Salt Lake Friday morning, the agency called about the receptionist job.  I had no intention of taking that job, remember, but I wasn't going to tell HIM that. 

So I said, "Well, Mr. Job Guy, you said you'd call me on Wednesday.  I didn't hear from you so I figured they weren't interested.  I took a job with the school district an hour ago." 

Mr. Job Guy:  "Oh, no.  They called yesterday and they think you'd be perfect."

Me:  (To myself:  Well, of course I'd be perfect.  Duh!)  Out loud: "Sorry, but even if you'd called yesterday it would have been different.  Like I said, I took this other job this morning."

Unnecessary?  Yeah, probably.  But whatever.  I have few opportunities to be snarky anymore, I gotta take what I can get.

What have YOU been doing this past week? :)

* Corrected from earlier post:  I had written frontal lobe seizure which is not correct.  It's a temporal lobe seziure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment