Friday, January 14, 2011

Church of the Poison Mind

There are things I don't talk about.  There are A LOT of things I don't talk about.  But mostly what I don't talk about is religion, politics, and sexuality. 

Why?

Because those are issues that are sure to cause debate, no matter where and when the subject comes up.  I have my opinions, I have my beliefs, I have my choices, and I don't see the need to explain myself to anyone else.  I'm also huge believer in letting others live their own lives as long as they are not causing harm to themselves or others.

We don't agree on political candidates?  If I like you, I really don't care.

You're gay?  I'm married so no one should be hitting on me anyway.  And please don't hit on my husband.  It just confuses him.

Religion?  I go to church.  I know what I believe.  I'm glad you have your beliefs.  But please don't belittle the beliefs of others because they aren't the same as yours.

You'd think since we've moved to Utah that this would be referring to the people here.  But it's actually not.  Maybe because I don't really know that many people here yet.  But in my experience of living in many different places, I've found that there are places where people tout their religion and use it to exclude others.  They use it to hold themselves over others.  They use their religion to say "I'm sure you're a decent enough person BUT you don't go to my church so you're not good enough for me."  They take every opportunity to say "You don't believe what I believe so you're clearly wrong."  They take situations and conversations that are not at all about religion to point out how devout they are.  I myself would rather see religion in action, as opposed to hearing it in words.

I'm glad you have your religion.  I'm glad it helps you.  Because if you need to use your religious beliefs to prove to yourself that you're better than other people, well, then you need all the help you can get. 


The highest result of education is tolerance.  - Helen Keller

Say nothing of my religion. It is known to God and myself alone. Its evidence before the world is to be sought in my life: if it has been honest and dutiful to society the religion which has regulated it cannot be a bad one.  - Thomas Jefferson 

No comments:

Post a Comment