Saturday, January 15, 2011

I Live for the Weekend

Saturday.  Now that Mitch is working weekends, the kids and I are pretty casual on the weekends.  Today, for instance, went something like this:

8:00 AM - We're all awake.  Sara and Jacob are reading books in Sara's room.  I let the dog out and catch up on what's new on the Internet since I went to bed 9 hours ago.

9:00 AM - Kids playing video games.  I'm trying to figure out whether or not to go to the end of the driveway to get the paper in my pajamas and slippers.  I don't want my slippers to get wet, you know.

9:30 AM - My mom calls.  Kids announce they want to go to Target to spend the $9 million in gift cards they got for Christmas.  I tell them no Target until their chores are done and retire to my room to talk to my mom while they clean.

10:00 AM - I shower.  Kids are still doing chores.

10:45 AM - My dad calls.  Not since my birthday have both my parents called me on the same day.  Weird.

11:10 AM - We leave for Target, via the Asian Buffet (yes, that's its name) for lunch.

12:30 PM - Return home with new video games.

1:30 PM - I take the dog for a walk.

2:00 PM - Dana calls during the walk.  I'm sure she's impressed by my level of out-of-shapness as evidenced by the heavy breathing caused by trying to walk and talk at the same time.  Or she was flattered.  She's at least kind enough not to mention it.

2:30 PM - I setttle in to watch football and update my calendar.  Sign Sara up for school testing and order her some birthday gifts.  I laugh hysterically at the Steelers misfortune.  Because I hate them.

4:30 PM - Mitch is going to call any minute to say he's on his way home.

You know, when you spell it all out like that, it LOOKS like we were busy.  At least the house is clean.

2 comments:

  1. You just crack me up, that's all there is to it. Now I'm wondering and if you were wearing your slippers while walking the dog? What really amazed me though is that your kids were up at 8 am and reading no less. What kind of drugs do you give them? Hey, have you read the Kite Runner. My sister told me to read Water for Elephants but the library had all their copies out so they recommended Kite Runner. I also got a book by Elizabeth Berg called 'The last time I saw you'. I just started that one. I don't see how you find time to read all those books when you have such busy casual day like today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read both of those. I'm pretty sure I read the Elizabeth Berg book, since I read all of hers. My occasional bouts of insomnia really help me get caught up on my reading.

    ReplyDelete