Sunday, January 30, 2011

Confessions

I have a confession to make.  I never thought I'd say this, but: 

I love my Kindle more than I thought I would.

I knew I'd like it, but it never seemed to be something that would change the way I read.  I mean, I read a lot of books.  The Kalamazoo Public Library was heaven for me.  Oh, how I miss KPL!  Free books!  Lots and lots of free books!  Online holds and renewals!  Drive through return boxes!  New releases!  Hot picks! 

Wait, what was I saying?

Oh right, the Kindle.  Anyway, you can see my love affair with books and libraries is a sure and epic thing.  So I thought, well, the Kindle will be neat, and all the cool kids have one, and I could order my books from Amazon.  But I love looking at a book, flipping through the pages and even - yes, I admit it - sneaking ahead to read the ending.  But I don't really like paying for books and at the rate I read, it can be expensive.

Case in point:  Last year, I read  88 books.  (Please don't make me tell you how I know the exact number of books I read last year.)  But, let's pretend that I bought them all in paperback at $8 each.  That would have been  $704 in books alone last year.  And some of those were new releases and would have been in hardcover so therefore more expensive.

But with the Kindle, I can get free books, or cheap books.  For instance, these Amanda Hocking books I've been reading are no more than $3 each.  And there are lots of free ones.  There are specials, where you can find books for $5.  The book I'm reading right now, "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet", which has been on my list for a while, was one of those $5 books.  I have yet to pay more than $5 for a book (and I have to want it pretty bad to even pay $5).  And I have 58 books on my Kindle right now.  I think I have enough reading material to keep me busy for a while. 

The best part of the free or cheap books is that if I don't like them, then I'm not really out that much money.  But if I do like them, chances are the author has other books available that are also inexpensive. 

So yes, I do like my Kindle.  It's not as much of a financial drain as I was afraid it would be.  (Though if you wanted to send me Amazon gift cards, I wouldn't argue one bit.  I might even use it to buy a book that's over $5!  GASP!)  It is helping to curb my "skip ahead and read the ending" habit.  And since we STILL don't have a library here, it's filling a void for me. 

Right now, Mitch is saying "Void?  Are you suggesting you have a book void?  Look at the bookcase!  Look at the bag of books you bought at a library book sale!  My goodness woman, you HAVE BOOKS!"

To which I must reply, "Hush now, dear.  I'm reading my Kindle."

2 comments:

  1. Can you file share on the Kindle? That would make it even more cost effective. :)
    Tory

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some books you can loan to someone for 2 weeks. I don't think you can do this with all of them though.

    ReplyDelete