Saturday, December 25, 2010

This Christmas Day

It's Christmas Day and we are officially exhausted.  Turns out, staying home a million miles away from family isn't really any more relaxing than being close to everyone and driving around from house to house all day.  Plus, someone here has to cook dinner (a task previously undertaken by my mother-in-law) or we're all going to be really really hungry soon.

Sara got us up at 7 AM.  I thought this would be the year the kids would sleep in, but no dice.  And seeing as she was up until after 11 PM last night, apparently too excited to sleep, it meant Mitch and I were up late too.  I'm still unsure what the believability status of Santa is in this house, and the kids aren't saying.  So we continue with the status quo of Santa bringing gifts.

I know when Jacob was in 1st grade, there was a lot of talk that Santa wasn't real.  He expressed some concerns then, but seriously, we haven't heard another word about this since.  Sara wanted to know how a few weeks ago how Santa was going to get in since we don't have a fireplace here, but then said she didn't need to go see Santa this year or write him a letter.  So I just don't know where we stand.  We marked some gifts from Santa, and some from Mom & Dad, as is our custom.  And Sara said last night that she couldn't wait to see what Santa said in his letter this year.  (Every year, Santa leaves them a letter after eating the cookies.)  Needless to say, I was typing up a Santa letter at 10 PM last night.

We've adopted a serious "Don't ask, don't tell" policy around here.  It's more work than talking, if you ask me.

I don't know.  Jacob is 11, so I don't think he believes anymore, but Sara's 9, so she very well might.  I guess we'll just have to see what they say next year.    

I'm thinking of heading out to Kohl's tomorrow to buy myself a set of Fiesta Ware dishes.  We'll see how ambitious I am.   Sundays I am not traditionally ambitious.  It might wait until Monday.

I hope you all had a great Christmas, or a relaxing day, depending on your religious affiliation.  And I hope Santa was good to you, if you still believe. 

2 comments:

  1. It makes me so sad to think of McKenna and Jackson NOT believing in Santa. Santa is SO magical, and I'm not ready for that magic to end......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well apparently Grady stopped believing last year or some time after Christmas 2009. I was so disappointed. The boys are mostly interested in gift cards now and since they don't believe in Santa, I am a sad mom. Well I told them that I do believe in Santa and I don't believe in gift cards so they better get to working on their lists. I know it would be a lot less work to buy cards but my life is all about making life hard for myself it seems so I was a very busy shopper this year. I still rattled some jingles bells just before I went to bed and had to force myself not to shake those bells over their heads as they slept.... whether sugar plums were dancing there or not....I DOUBT IT!

    ReplyDelete