Thursday, October 7, 2010

God Bless the American Housewife

So now I am unemployed.  I worked there 2 days and decided it just wasn't for me.  It's hard to explain WHY it wasn't for me, but I've kind of said it like this:  I'm a person who looks at something and can either see myself doing it or not see myself doing it.  When we came to Utah the first time last November, I looked around after the first couple of days and said to Mitch "I can see us living here."  And when I looked into my future earlier this week, I did not see myself working there.  The hours were good, the people were mostly nice and the atmosphere was ridiculously casual.  But I don't want to do mortgage loans.  I just don't want to learn all the paperwork and whatever.  So I left.  No sense dragging it out.

I had an interview yesterday afternoon for someplace else and they called last night for a second interview tomorrow.  We'll see how it goes.  If that doesn't pan out, I really will start calling temp agencies.  Really.

What's surprised me the most is that I kind of like being home.  I like getting the laundry done and being able to run errands during the day without rushing around to get somewhere before they close.  I like having dinner ready so we can eat at 6.  I take Jacob to band at 4:15 a couple of days a week.  It's fun being home.  I can Facebook and blog and I talk to the dog and read. 

I went to this coupon seminar a few weeks ago, so now I'm clipping coupons and checking the Savvy Shopper website to see where the best deals are.  I got a whole bunch of stuff at Walgreens this morning - two Schick Hydro razor sets, 2 boxes of Oreos, 2 bags of Werther's candy - for $11 with my coupons and I got $8 in register rewards back.  (Which are coupons for money off your next purchase.)  So basically, I spent $3.  Weird for me to think about this stuff, I know.  We currently have like 20 cans of Chunky soup because they were on sale two weeks ago for 10 for $10 and then I had coupons so it was 50 cents a can.  Apparently, it's the small stuff these days that thrills me.

I went to the DMV to get a driver's license today, but they turned me away because I didn't have my marriage license.  They need to "connect the dots" between the name on my birth certificate and the name on my Michigan license.  Ugh.  So I came home and will go back on Monday.  I thought I had everything too.  Frustrating.  Luckily it wasn't a wasted trip because the DMV is right next to the Boy Scout office and I had to exchange some pants for Jacob since he has a Court of Honor this weekend to get his 2nd class or whatever it is. 

We have conferences tonight and this should be interesting.  Sara's teacher already told her to tell us to be prepared to talk about giving her harder work to do since so much of the stuff her class is doing is review for her.  We need to talk to Jacob's teacher about signing him up for the advanced placement English and History classes for junior high next year.  He has to be tested and then they take 34 kids per junior high.  I think he'll qualify, but since he hasn't taken any of the standardized testing they use here we don't have any scores to judge him against. 

The hamster escaped her cage last night.  When I went to check on Sara, the cage door was hanging open.  Luckily, Sara sleeps with her bedroom door closed until we go to bed so I found Bella (the hamster) in the corner by her closet.  Unluckily, that meant I had to pick up the hamster.  Shudder.  I finally put the ball in front of her and used the top of the ball to shove her inside.  Then I tipped the ball upside down into the cage.  Probably more traumatic that however she got from the cage on top of Sara's bookcase down to the floor, but I do not want to have those yucky little hamster feet touch me.  It wigs me out.

Well, I'm off to the basement again to find my marriage license.  I knew I should have kept my maiden name.

No comments:

Post a Comment