Thursday, October 14, 2010

Spiders & Snakes

Did you know I could spend the entire school year without having these mini-breaks?  Yes, if you know me at all, you probably did.  But I mean, my kids already come home early every Monday, do I want them here Thursday and Friday this week too?  Clearly, the answer is no.  But I just sent them out to walk the dog and then Sara has a dentist appointment at noon and Jacob has to go to the vet's office for the afternoon for his Veterinary Medicine Merit Badge for Boy Scouts.  So that will help.  But I like having my mornings quiet to do my Facebooking and write in this blog.

So - Boy Scouts.  Jacob is liking this new troop.  It's very small, no more than 10 boys at the most, I'd say.  But that is good too, in that he can't blend in to the crowd and avoid doing things.  Last night, at the Court of Honor, he got his Tenderfoot badge.  And they want him to complete 2nd Class by Christmas.  The Scoutmaster joked last night during Jacob's award that Jacob doesn't talk much.  (I guess he's too tired from talking all day at school!)  But these leaders are great and the boys are all really nice.  They are going camping this weekend to shoot and do whatever else they do.  There is a Merit Badge PowWow at BYU at the end of the month, where the boys could sign up to earn up to 3 merit badges.  Jacob's only doing 2, since Mitch's dad and stepmother will be here the 2nd weekend of the PowWow.  He's doing the Veterinary Medicine Badge and Geology. 

There's a Girl Scout Troop that meets at the same place as Jacob's Boy Scouts.  It's every other Wednesday from 4:30 to 6:30.  Sara wants to try it out next week, so we'll do that.  I'm putting off getting her back into gymnastics until after the first of the year.  I'm a little hesitant to sign her up yet, what with the head injury and all.  And hopefully by then, I'll have a job.  Somewhere.  Somehow.

On a side note: one of the scout leaders last night told us that tarantulas are not indigenous to Utah.  People have them has pets - who are these people? What's wrong with them? - and then they get loose or the people set them free.  For those who don't know, Mitch and Jacob saw one on a hike they took last Sunday.  So I guess I don't really have to worry about random giant spiders getting in my house.  I can focus on just being on the lookout for snakes.  Yippee.

No comments:

Post a Comment